You would workout more often, but your job gets in the way, right? Right? Let’s just go with that. Yes, yes you would workout more and be in great shape if you did not have to work all day. Well, my friend, it’s time to drop that excuse. Here are 20 Super Easy But Effective Exercises that you can do while you’re slaving away working hard to make the pay. The great part is, you will increase your fitness level just by adding these exercises to your work routine.
1. Stair Master: Taking the stairs instead of the elevator is a super simple way to get your heart rate up and burn some calories. Walk briskly or take two stairs at a time to really feel the burn.
2. Jig Jag Jog: A light jog could work wonders for your fitness and energy levels. Jog in place for a minute. For added fun, throw in some dance moves and a silly jig. For a challenge, try lifting your knees while you run.
3. Made for Walkin’: Not too keen on jogging, well walking is a great workout as well. Over the course of the day, you could potentially rack up several miles. Based on the average person’s stride, it takes about 2,000 steps to complete 1 mile. Use a pedometer to keep track of your steps and try to get close to 10, 000 steps a day. That’s 5 miles!
4. Tippy Taps: You may already unknowingly do this. Rapidly tap your toes while you are seated. Try not to do this loudly as that may annoy your co-workers.
5. Jack’s Revenge: You remember laughing at having to do jumping jacks in your junior high gym class? Well, they’re baaack. Do 3 sets of 10 jumping jacks (or more). This can be done sporadically throughout the day.
6. ABsolutely Brilliant: This exercise can be done anywhere at any time. Start by taking a deep breath. Squeeze your abs and bring them towards your spine as you exhale. Hold the squeeze for 5-10 seconds (or as long as you can) and release. Repeat for 12-15 reps.
7. ‘Blique Blast: Come on, admit it. You enjoy spinning in a swivel chair. You can use that chair to workout those pesky love handles. That’s right. Get a good oblique workout and have a blast doing it. While sitting in a spinny chair, lift your feet about 2 inches off of the floor. Hold the edge of your desk and turn the chair from side to side. Turn to each side 15 times. Make sure you engage your abs as you do this. You can also try to make the chair swivel from side to side without holding onto the desk.
FOR BUTT AND LEGS
8. Back Against the Wall: There is a saying that refers to having your back against the wall, and you may feel like that while you are at work. However, in this case, you will literally put your back against a wall. With your back against a sturdy wall, slide down into a sitting position where your thighs are parallel to the floor. Hold this position for 30-60 seconds.
9. Give Yourself a Raise: You can get a nice calf exercise in while waiting for your copies to print. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Rise up onto your tippy toes, pause, then lower back down. Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps. To give yourself a bit of a challenge, do this on one leg at a time.
10. It’s Hard, Butt It’s Fair: No one has to know that you are working out your glutes and toning that tush. While you are sitting, squeeze your butt and hold for at least 5-10 seconds. Relax and repeat until the muscles tire.
11. Stand and Deliver: Regularly sitting for long periods of time can increase your risk for issues like, diabetes, heart disease and obesity. So, getting standing time in is especially important for people whose jobs require them to sit. Make a conscious effort to stand as much as possible.
12. Tight Squeeze: Work those inner thighs while you sort emails or during a meeting. While seated, squeeze your legs together and hold for 30-60 seconds. Relax and repeat.
13. Kickin’ It: Who says you can’t kick it while you’re at work? Okay, this move is more of a raise than a kick, but either way it will give your legs a nice workout. While seated, extend one or both legs in front of you. Hold them out for at least 5 seconds, then lower your legs without allowing your feet to touch the floor. Repeat for 15 reps.
14. Hamming It Up: Use this leg curl to strengthen your hamstrings. Hold onto your desk chair or another object for support. Slowly kick one foot behind you as if you are trying to reach your heel to your thigh. Lower the foot to the starting point and repeat the exercise with the other leg. Complete 2 sets of 10 reps on each leg.
15. Skinny Dip: Doing triceps dips can give you toned, sexy arms, and the great thing is, you can do them almost anywhere. Sit at the edge of a non-rolling chair (or your desk if it is sturdy enough) and put your hands at your side. Grip the edge of the chair with your hands. Plant your feet a step or two away from your chair. Lift yourself up as you straighten your arms. Bend your arms to a 90-degree angle as you dip. Hold the dip for a second, then lift yourself back up by straightening your arms without allowing your bottom to touch the chair. Do 8-10 reps.
16. Curly Sue: Most anything with a little weight can be used as a dumbbell. And curling said dumbbell will give your biceps a workout. This exercise can be done sitting or standing. Using a full water bottle as your dumbbell, hold the bottle in one hand with your palm facing up. Rest your arm by your side. Bend your elbow up towards your chest in a “curling” motion. Hold the curl for one second then lower to the starting position and repeat for 12-15 reps on each arm.
17. Get Into the Box: Let your inner Rocky Balboa out and do your best boxer impression. Alternate arms as you punch your imaginary opponent. Try various punches (jabs, hooks, uppercuts etc.) at different speeds. Continue for 60 seconds (or more).
FOR CHEST, BACK, AND NECK
18. Scap Trap: Workout your traps to get that sexy back. Roll your shoulders back as if you are trying to hold a small item